Bible Study Location

Please remember to check your 29eleven email every week for the location of our Monday evening study. If you are not on the email list and would like to be, please email: 29eleven@mvcchurch.org

Friday, September 19, 2008

MY Grace is Sufficient

It can be so hard to fully give ourselves over to the Lord. It's as if we are afraid that whatever it is that He has to offer just won't be enough. Why are we so afraid to live lives completely sold out for Him? What are we afraid of? I believe we're afraid of giving up all only to find that He really isn't Who He says He is... the God of comfort, rest, and lasting joy. We fear that what He offers won't satisfy, and sadly, we continue to go after that which only leads to heartache.

The great Charles Spurgeon was a man of unmatched giftedness in the ability to exposit the Word of God through preaching to thousands. Struggling to take his thoughts captive after a long day, he tells of this story:

"The other evening I was riding home after a heavy day's work. I felt very wearied, and sore depressed, when swiftly, and suddenly as a lightning flash, that text came to me, 'My grace is sufficient for thee.' I reached home and looked it up in the original, and at last it came to me in this way, 'MY grace is sufficient for thee'; and I said, 'I should think it is, Lord,' and burst out laughing. I never fully understood what the holy laughter of Abraham was until then.

It seemed to make unbelief so absurd. It was as though some little fish, being very thirsty, was troubled about drinking the river dry, and Father Thames said, 'Drink away, little fish, my stream is sufficient for thee.' Or, it seemed after the seven years of plenty, a mouse feared it might die of famine; and Joseph might say, 'Cheer up, little mouse, my granaries are sufficient for thee.' Again, I imagined a man away up yonder, in a lofty mountain, saying to himself, 'I breathe so many cubic feet of air every year, I fear I shall exhaust the oxygen in the atmosphere,' but the earth might say, 'Breathe away, O man, and fill the lungs ever, my atmosphere is sufficient for thee.'

Oh, brethren, be great believers! Little faith will bring your souls to Heaven, but great faith will bring Heaven to your souls."

Let's be encouraged that God has more than enough to offer us. His blessings will never run out, His grace will never fade, and His mercy and love will never be exhausted. Cheer up, give your heart to him, His grace is sufficient to satisfy your deepest longings and desires! It sounds scary, but I truly believe stepping out into the unknown... a path of humility and obedience, of giving our desires and passions to Him... only leads to finding more of His sufficiency. We serve a mighty God and His goodness will never run dry!

~AF

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, Alex. I've read this great excerpt before, but had forgotten it. Thanks for the excellent reminder and the challenge!

29eleven said...

Yea, no problem!:-) I always appreciate Spurgeon's ability to bring the Scriptures to life by telling a story or painting a picture through illustration. Great stuff!

~AF